Monday, February 26, 2007

She-Devils and Garden Checkers

No, I didn't make the above mosaic but isn't it cool? I wonder who she is according to Jack Chick's demonology. This piece was made by John T. Unger.

My mosaics aren't this interesting yet but I hope one day to make a mosaic of something with giant naughty bits so I can display it in my garden.

Speaking of gardens, my second mosaic was entirely an experiment. I made it in the same class where I made the tea tray. It's a checkers board with a garden theme:


The picture is very grainy but what I did was use a coffee mug with a flower design on it and some basic stained glass squares that I bought from Michael's. The oval piece of wood came from Wal-Mart just like the tea tray did. I'm sure it was intended for some lame wood burning craft project but I saved it and made it quite lovely.

And yes. I know what you're thinking. The checker squares aren't the right dimensions. I was worried about that when I started so I tried playing checkers on it and it worked. The game is a little more unpredictable although it is short. That's okay. Like I said, this piece was experimental. Breaking apart the coffee mug was my challenge and I liked the way it came out. I tried to eliminate the curve in the cup as much as possible and keep the flower pieces together. At the top of the mosaic you can see the yellow pieces which are all part of a single flower I tried to keep.


To keep with the theme, I bought some pre-made mosaic tiles at Michael's that fit this checker board nicely:



As you can see, the ladybugs have formed a trifecta opposition stance to take on the butterfly/leaf alliance. If the game wasn't interesting before, it should be now!

1 comment:

wurwolf said...

Your checkerboard is really cool. I love the pieces. Very cute!

Also, the she-devil is super sexy!