Wednesday, March 7, 2007

My Tie-Dyed Pickle Jar

So far I've shown you two mosaic projects that I made in class. Once class was over, I still had the mosaic bug so I looked for projects to work on completely on my own. I found a pickle jar in the fridge and hastened to empty and mosaic it.

My teacher told us about what she does when working with glass and it seemed simple enough: Tape the picture you want to the inside of the glass and mosaic over it. I Googled some tie-dye images because I knew they'd have tons of color and I wanted a small image so it would be pixelated (sp?) when I enlarged it. I chose this image:

I taped it to the inside of the pickle jar and used bits of stained glass and tesserae. I liked the effect of the tesserae. Without light it looks one color but with a light behind it, it's an all new color. Around the top of the pickle jar I used those little glass blobs you can buy for flower vases or fish bowls. I liked the glass blobs because they were black but shiny like hematite rocks.

I have yet to find a decent way to cover up the jar ridges but I'm in no hurry.

Usually I discuss the things I would have done differently. I don't have anything to list here. I love it!

I will mention that it was a challenge to glue this on a curve. The WeldBond dried fast but this project took a while as I let it dry. I had to turn the pickle jar little by little. I must add that working with those little yellow peices and turning the jar did seem like I was working on corn-on-the-cob at times.

I could use this jar for several things but right now I'm using it for part of my giant pen collection. I could also use it as a votive candle holder or a money jar but right now it looks very cute next to my computer holding my Toy Story 2 pens:


3 comments:

wurwolf said...

It's cool, Rimmi! So are the tiles transparent? Like, if you had a candle in there, would the light shine through the tiles?

Rimmi said...

Yes, they are. It looks very pretty. Maybe tonight I'll try and take a picture of it with a light inside.

wurwolf said...

Cool! Do it do it do it!